Sunday, July 22, 2012

Script editing vs Book Editing

Right now I am in the midst of script edits for "The Hardship".  Finding the ability to shift gears from book editing to script editing takes me a moment.  I didn't realize that would happen until I really started  getting into the guts of editing "Elemental" and then jumping over to script edits.

The producer of The Hardship sent me a list of suggested scenes and basic edits.  The scene edits forced me to stop and think all the way through the entirety of the script to make sure the continuity wasn't lost, not unlike book edits.  However, where books allow for the insight into a characters thinking and feelings, script writing forces you to act out the emotion or the thought.  Sometimes that can be a bit dicey.  If the audience doesn't get it the way you meant it to, the interpretation can be a bit different.  But I guess that isn't too bad, art can be like that.  You mean it one way and someone takes a completely different meaning from what you have presented.

I love script writing, it's clean and logical and follows a really nice pattern of layout that I like.  The challenge ends up being that the conversations have to be spot on.  It helps to actually read them out loud as your write it to make sure it sounds like a conversation one would have with someone else.

Back to my edits!  If you are interested in following the progress of The Hardship film, you can like it on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/thehardshipmovie.

:)

No comments: