Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Andy Whitfield -- Be here now

Today is a day for memorials in a lot of ways.  For Americans, it is the remembrance of an awful point in our history, when thousands were killed by terrorists.  That singular event, galvanized a nation into action.

But also, a year ago today, an actor by the name of Andy Whitfield succumbed to cancer at the age of 38, leaving behind a wife and two small children.  His death hit me in a very personal way.   Andy, as a person, was a very kind, gently soul, who loved his family deeply.  He cared for his fellow man and showed compassion to those less fortunate.  Even in the midst of his treatment for cancer, he allowed film crews to document his journey.  Which sadly, ended in his death.

I just wanted to write about this to say I was thinking of him on this day.  I am thinking of his wife and children and was touched by his wife's email to me giving me hugs over a well wish to her and her children.

It makes me consider, what do we leave behind?  What is our legacy in our individual lives?  I hope that I do like Andy and like those who died in the world trade center, and leave a legacy of love to those family and friends around me, and to even those who did not know me, but viewed my life from afar.

I miss you Andy.

Vashti Whitfield
Be Here now documentary
Lucy Lawless remembers Andy Whitfield

1 comment:

authorsherriehenry said...

I feel the exact same way. He is still missed today. I even pulled up the little memorial the Emmys did last year and I got chills when his Spartacus picture was put up.